Monday, December 8, 2008

I can has silent haircut?

There are those that really like getting the chatty, outgoing barber, but I am not among them. When I am sitting there getting my hair cut, I want to just sit there and chill out without having to be conversational and interesting for a half-hour.

It's especially annoying because I know that the conversation is superficial, unappealing, and habitual. It's not worth the energy to put forward a substance-less discussion. Service-industries have a new slogan: "The customer is always right conversational:

Barber: How do you feel about __________? It's good, right?
Me: Eh, I don't really care for it all that much.
Barber: Yeah, me neither.
Me: I especially don't like __________.
Barber: I totally agree; it sucks.


So yes - to all barbers of the world: I don't want to discuss sports with you, class schedules, or my family life. You are unlikely to remember my name, let alone my major and my personal problems.

Silence is golden, kthxbai.

No comments: